Four days at a beachfront resort. I had to log back into the Wi-Fi multiple times a day, and my tablet couldn't get past the sign-in screen at all.
What happened
On my tablet, the sign-in page would not load. I tried again and again. Nothing.
My other devices did connect. Then they got kicked off, and I had to sign in again. This repeated every day of the stay.
The resort shares its grounds with a neighboring property. Each one runs its own network with its own log-in. Walk a few steps and you are on a different system.
Why hotel Wi-Fi is like this
- Captive sign-in pages that break on some devices.
- Limits on how many devices one guest can connect.
- Short session timeouts that log you out and make you start over.
- Networks split between properties that guests treat as one place.
None of this is hard to fix. It just isn't a priority until guests complain.
What I asked for
I asked for two changes. First, a simpler sign-in that remembers your device for the whole stay. Second, one shared login across connected properties, so guests don't juggle two networks.
The complaint was escalated to the brand's executive customer relations team. I'll report back if I hear anything concrete.
It's not just one hotel
I have raised Wi-Fi access with convention hotels before. Attendees at a convention want to look up schedules, share what they are seeing, and use event apps. They can't do any of that if the connection keeps dropping. The same problems show up in different buildings.
Takeaway
- Ask before you book. How long does a Wi-Fi session last? How many devices are allowed? Get the answers in writing if you can.
- Force the sign-in page. If it won't load, open a browser and go to a plain http site. Many networks only redirect you to the sign-in page from an unsecured address.
- Bring a backup. A phone hotspot saves you when the hotel network fails.
- Report it during the stay. Do it in writing, not just at the front desk. Say what failed, how often, and how it affected you. Then ask for compensation.
A complaint made after you have checked out is easy to ignore. One made while the problem is happening is much harder to dismiss.
No comments:
Post a Comment