Saturday, October 10, 2026

A Supplement Maker Told My Startup to Order 100,000 Capsules

I'm launching a supplement brand built on evidence-based doses and minimal fillers. I asked manufacturers for their smallest pilot batch. One answered: 100,000 capsules per product.

What I asked for

I kept the request simple. Five formulas, each with a strict dose and no unnecessary excipients. I wanted the smallest possible pilot run so I could validate demand before putting real money behind any of them.

I sent the same inquiry to several contract manufacturers and listed every requirement up front: exact doses, ingredient forms, no common fillers, and the smallest batch per product.

What came back

One manufacturer said it could make all five formulas. The minimum order was 100,000 capsules per product. That is 500,000 capsules across the line for a brand with no sales yet.

Another told me custom formulas are only available to existing clients with a sales track record. Access comes through a paid membership, with at least $10,000 upfront.

My reply to the first one was short: that's too many, I'm a new startup.

Why minimums are so high

The manufacturers are not being difficult for the sake of it. Setup, equipment cleaning, testing, and raw-material purchases cost the same whether a factory makes 5,000 capsules or 100,000. A small run eats the same labor and downtime as a large one, and the profit on it is thin. So factories set a floor that makes each run worth their time.

That logic makes sense from their side. It still leaves a new founder with a problem.

Options for small founders

- Negotiate per-product quantities. A minimum quoted for the whole line may move when you talk about one product at a time.
- Start with one product, not five. Five formulas multiply every minimum. One formula lets you test the market with a fraction of the cash.
- Use stock formulas from private-label suppliers first. They run proven recipes in smaller quantities, which lets you build sales history before going custom.
- Ask about shared production runs. If a manufacturer is already making a similar product, you may be able to share a run and split the setup cost.

I don't have outcomes on any of these yet. I'll report back as I get answers.

Takeaway

Lead with your realistic quantity. Tell the manufacturer up front how many units you can actually sell, so you don't waste time on quotes built for someone else's volume.

Start with one hero product. Prove it sells, then add the rest.

Get every quote in writing before you commit money. Minimums, membership terms, and upfront payments should all be on paper, so you know the full cost of starting before you spend any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment